In this economy, everyone is looking for a way to sell their home and save the most money. If that means cutting a few corners or doing things in a non-traditional manner, most people are okay with that. For this reason, people have taken to consulting with someone in real estate careers and then attempting to sell their own home. Although it's traditionally not advised to do this, that doesn't stop people from trying. If you do decide to attempt to be your own real estate agent, here are some tips for success.
- If your neighborhood has a homeowners association, consult with them before advertising. They may have rules and regulations against how many open houses you can host or how many signs can be put up around the neighborhood. It's best to find out about these restrictions before you decide whether or not to go ahead with selling your home by yourself.
- Fixing up your home to sell is a must if you want people to be interested. By cleaning up the outside, painting the walls neutral shades, and making small repairs (to the wiring or plumbing or whatever else needs some updating), your house will have more possibilities. Remember, the more you put in, the more you get out.
- Gather basic information from potential buyers before allowing them to look at your home. By allowing strangers to enter your home without having any sort of protection, you're risking your safety. By getting this information, you're deterring anything happening and having their information should something occur.
- Learn the legal jargon and understand financing. Selling your house is more than a project, it's a business deal. You need to sound like you know what you're doing and be able to ensure you get the most for your money.
- Control your emotions. This one is big because as a negotiatior, it's all about having a strong poker face. You'll need to maintain composure and keep a clear head. Not only will this help others to take you seriously, but it will possibly enable you to have the upper hand. Remember, in this situation you have something they want so by keeping cool, they won't be able to take advantage of you.
What other tips do you have?