When it comes to massage careers, there are a variety of massage types to choose from. Deep tissue massage, Sweedish massage, and foot massages all require different techniques and practices. Hot stone massages are no different. Read these tips from eHow to learn how best to give a hot stone massage.
- Clean your stones thoroughly before each use. Products such as Odoban will deodorize and disinfect the stones. Hospitals and massage professionals use these frequently.
- Place the stones in a crock pot on a low setting, making sure the lid is off. Heat them for 30 minutes before using them. Check them frequently, making sure they are not burning. Then have your client lie face down on a mat or massage table. Allow them to adjust the area as they see fit, for comfort. Drape their legs with a sheet to create a barrier between their skin and the stones.
- Put a rock on the upper left leg, mid hamstring, back of knee and calf. Next, use a larger stone to massage the right leg, working your technique towards the heart area. After finishing the right leg, place several unused rocks on this leg (same positions as the left), and then remove the rocks from the left leg. Repeat the procedure (massaging the left leg) with a larger hot stone.
- Drape your client's lower back and gluteal area with a fresh sheet. Cover the lower back with rocks (to heat the muscles) and begin to massage the gluteal area with a large hot stone.Continue by draping the entire back, placing stones on the shoulders, traps and neck. Remove the stones from your client's lower back and massage the area with several large stones.
- Remove the stones from the upper back and neck and begin massaging the area. Once you have completed your massage, have your client turn over on the table.
- Cover both legs and place stones on the upper, mid and lower thighs. Insert several thin stones in between the toes of both feet.
- Massage the upper arms using hot stones to glide over the entire area. Drape and place stones on both pecs once you have finished massaging the arms.Remove stones from the left leg and foot, following with massage and stone gliding. Repeat the procedure with the right leg and foot.
- Complete the hot stone massage by removing stones from the pecs, following with a nice massage to the area.
Would you do this?