Landscaping isn't as simple as putting a few plants outside and hoping that they look good. In all actuality, designing a landscape takes planning and thought before you can execute it. Landscape design is almost more of an art form rather than just a way to cut grass so when you go to design an area, you need to apporach it as an artist would. Here are some landscape design tips to keep in mind.
- When planning the layout of your yard, keep in mind that at some point you may have to move large equipment in your yard and you dont' want to ruin anything.
- Start with and maintain whatever focal point it is you choose. Whether it's a tree, an interesting part of your house, or a certain color plant, make sure the focal point won't change any time soon.
- Don't try to do anything too complicated that you won't be able to maintain. Symmetry is beautiful, but it's hard to upkeep.
- Curves add a visual interest to your garden, but too many can be overkill.
- Having movement in your garden makes it seem fun and alive. Incorperate tall grass that will blow in the wind or flowers that will attract hummingbirds.
As a student in online landscape design school, do you have any other suggestions?