Springtime is officially here which means warm weather to enjoy all of the outdoor fun you missed out on in the winter. Pool time, walks in the parks, and mountain biking on trails are all fun and environmentally friendly ways to enjoy the weather. But when you get tired from your activities and want to eat some lunch, your picnic should also be green. Here are some ways to bring the environment back to the picnic.
- How often will you use that picnic basket once the event is over? Although it looks cute and is something fun to use, the basket isn't going to make or break your picnic. Instead, use a bag you already have and try to save the environment by not wasting any materials or creating any more trash.
- Bring your own dishes and containers you can take home with you and wash. While doing dishes is never fun, it's a lot more eco friendly than bringing paper plates you'll toss after one use.
- Buy local food from a farmer's market to eat on your picnic. This helps support the local economy and it's fresher too.
- Bring re-usable water bottles to drink from or a jug from home and cups. This will benefit the environment because you're not getting rid of plastic bottles or coke cans at the end of the day.
- Remember to leave the picnic area just as you found it - meaning no littering. By picking up all of your trash, you're helping the environment, the animals, and the other people to have a nice area to enjoy.
As a conservation school student, what other tips do you have?